Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The churro incident

So on our way from Seville back to Portugal, we were driving through the Spanish countryside(which is gorgeous). We were driving through a tiny town when I saw a sign for churros. I immediately pulled a U-turn. I was so excited that we had a chance to eat churros for breakfast, especially because we never had them while we were in Seville. I wanted to make sure my mom and sister had the chance to get fresh ones and dip them in melted chocolate in the traditional Spanish way.

There wasn't any place to park by this tiny stand so, in true European fashion, I pulled up onto the sidewalk to park there. About 10 seconds (literally) after I turned off the car and we were getting out of the vehicle, out of nowhere the local cops pull up! They told me I couldn't park on the sidewalk and... that I was facing the wrong way on a one-way street. In my churro excitement it seems I blatantly ignored the rules of the road!

But it was just hilarious, because we were in this teeny town in the middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the town, near a small churro stand.....and they show up in 10 seconds! Needless to say, once I found a better spot to park and we walked back to the churros, we got quite a few stares. Well, the story gets better....

We decided to get 2 orders of churros, seeing as there were four of us. John waited in line and I joined my mom and sister at one of the plastic tables around the side of the stand. A few minutes later, John emerges with an ARMFUL of churros. It was absolutely ridiculous how many he was carrying; I think we counted around 20. We could not stop laughing, and we got even more stares after that. Here are some pictures of our score.





No comments: