Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Celine Dion - leave me alone!

When John and I traveled to Sumatra, we stayed at the Sheraton hotel, which apparently is the nicest hotel in ALL of Sumatra. At breakfast we noticed they were playing 2 different Celine Dion songs over and over. I didn't think too much of it at the time. After John headed off to a couple meetings I went to swim some laps at the pool, and the outside speakers for the hotel were repeatedly playing those same 2 songs.

I joined John for some of the afternoon meetings, and later we returned to the hotel for dinner. I'm sure at this point you can guess which 2 songs were playing for the entire duration of dinner. There was a pool table out in the bar area by the pool, so we went to play a few games after dinner. I now know all the words to "Because You Loved Me" and "I'm Alive". I alternated between singing along as passionately as I could and really, really hating Celine Dion.





As we checked out the next day with Celine in the background, we wondered how much longer the hotel's employees would have to suffer.

P.S. While we realize this is sort of an inane post, it has happened to us on a few different occasions and it's just a funny example of how things can be different here in such trivial ways. While with a group of friends at an outdoor bar in Bali, they let Toto's "I'll Be Over You" play 5 times in a row before somebody got wise. By that point we had all made up a choreographed karaoke performance, and we were actually a little sad not to hear it a 6th time......

No comments: