Monday, April 2, 2007

Bamboo and massage

On our third day in Bogor, we were scheduled to check out some bamboo handicrafts in the morning and a local type of massage specialty that afternoon. We arrived at the bamboo place after having class with our teachers for a little bit.

We were greeted by a little man who had apparently dedicated his life to all things bamboo. He went on to explain to us how bamboo is a great material for building houses, furniture and anything else. We saw some of the workers who were making baskets and furniture out of bamboo and we asked one of them how many small baskets he made per day. He said two or three. The bamboo man had previously told us that those small baskets would sell for about a dollar. It's a little shocking when you realize that if the sales off the baskets only total a few dollars a day, the worker making them really can't make much to support the wife and two kids he said he had.

After a boxed lunch of rice and a little piece of meat, we were told that the bamboo place was also where we were going to learn about the local style of massage. We weren't told anything about what made the massage style unique, but we all were massaged/tortured. I really think these guys tried to see how much pain they could cause before you'd have to say something. Good times...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

WOW! This is easily the most interesting blog I've ever read. Keep it up, please, I'm loving it!
Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you and Hillary!

For real- you're doing things I can only imagine and seeing a few photos and reading the stories is just so very fulfilling, I have been hanging on every word.

You two are awesome! I wanted to leave you this comment so you know I'm reading your stuff, and I'll be with you all the way! Be careful and have fun and tell lots of stories! Eat well too- I love to know what they're feeding you!

Take Care! With love from Austin,
Jenn